Thursday, August 30, 2007

Crayola Factory

The Crayola Factory was a blast!!! We had never gone and it is only about an hour away from our house. So I gathered up some friends and we went on Wed. It was so worth the drive and the $10. I figured I was in the right spot when I saw the Crayons coming off of a building. Kenna is so cute she wanted to color with the big yellow one.

When you walk in they have a wall with all of the colors on it. I ask Kenna to pick which one was her favorite and point to it. All of the colors are her favorite but pink is her favorite and her best.
She wanted me to take her picture in front of this sign while we waited to get our tickets. She was so excited I am surprised that she stood still long enough for the camera and its wonderful delay.
After you get your tickets you ride the elevator up to the second floor of the building when you get off they have this red crayon welcoming you. Also note the sticker on her shirt, that is the "ticket" that allows you to be in. To know what kid goes with what parent they gave me the same sticker and put a small yellow one on both of ours. That made her day because then we MATCHED!!! I couldn't get her to put her skirt down, sorry, but the purple underwear is her favorite and at least it matches.
If Crayola makes it they have it at the factory to play with, color with, glue, mold etc. So she got to try all of the things they make. She was in heaven! She loves to do art projects. This is her using the color wonder paper.
With the sticker tickets they also receive gold tokens that can be redeemed for markers, crayons, and mold clay. Here is her hold her token waiting to get her box of crayons.
I absolutely love this picture. This is her and her friend Amity using the computer to color and dress a horse. Look at how good they are sharing. Amity controls the mouse a lot better so she moved and clicked, while Kenna did what she does best, bosses on what needs done.
And this one with Kenna's arm on Amity shoulder made me smile as well. They are such little buddies. Amity is only 2 weeks older than Kenna so they are on the same page.
So you walk into the sculpting room and they have these hanging from the ceiling. The kids then are able to use a token to purchase some molding clay and mold something. They spent at lest 45 min using the clay. We took some extra home.
They then did an art project using melted crayons and Q tips. The annoyed look on her face comes from me telling her for the millionth time to NOT get any on her clothes because it will stain. With this look came a sigh of annoyance.
So you totally can't see the finished product but she did a good job and didn't get any on her clothes. It was the best Caterpillar.
This is the chalk walk. They have chalkboards on the floor and sidewalk chalk. Kenna liked this smooth surface to use the chalk on. She asked if we could make our sidewalk not bumpy like this one. So cute! In the picture with her are friends Amity and Taybree.
This is the color center. They have binds in a circle full of crayons. Coloring is never this fun at home.
So you can't tell but on the screen behind her she shows up inferred. They had music playing so they could dance and see there image on the screen. This was good because it used up a ton of her energy.
This was the watercolor station. She did three watercolor pages. She has started to understand the concept of birthday and Christmas. She wants watercolors in her Christmas sock.
We spent 3 hours at the factory. It is a definite do again. When you all come to visit next we will put this on the list of stuff to do. It also allowed for a 3 hour nap later that afternoon. Now I realize that I could just buy this stuff and do it all of the time at my house, but then I would have to clean up the mess. I don't like cleaning.

5 comments:

Blake and Breanna said...

That looks like it was an absolute blast. When we come out next we will absolutely have to go do this. Paige and Rylee would love it.

Rivka said...

What a awesome way to spend a day. I want to go and play. And Jack would probably like it too! If we ever get out that way while you're there, it's on the list. Along with eating a cheesesteak at both of those places in Philly that claim they're the best! I've gotta know which one really is...

Tiffany said...

Okay, so I know it may not be on Nathan's agenda, but it is totally on mine. Those pictures are so cute and so fun! I love that annoyed picture. Adee, you gotta admit, you have cute kids. It makes me happy to know I'm destined to have cute kids.

Jessica and Tom said...

I agree with everyone else. How fun and what cute pictures. This is definitely on our list of things to do next time we come out as well.

Rivka said...

I just looked up tickets from Des Moines to Philly and they're about $250 a piece. Not bad! I hate that I have to pay for Jack now, though. We'll have to plan a trip out there next spring or summer...sometime when Burke has really bad hours so he won't notice we're gone!