Sunday, July 27, 2008

Kenna is at that wonderful age were internal monologue doesn't happen. No fault of her own it just hasn't developed yet. She hasn't said anything that isn't true, just socially inappropriate and I have found myself walking briskly out of stores or awkwardly trying to explain what she means. Here are a few of them.

  • To the clerk at the grocery store "you have the biggest butt" Thank goodness we had already paid! after a quick apology all I had to do was push the cart right out the door.
  • Poor kid has another yeast infection (you were right Jess). This is something that should just be kept to her self, but does she, nope, she tells a lady at Target "I have a yeast infection" I wish you all could have seen her eyes get wide and then how she looked at me like "did she just really say what I think she said." Again another apology.
  • This is my favorite.It is just funny but did make me look like a little bit of a bad mom. Kenna loves to have Brad speak to her in Spanish, sometimes she will just say "Dad talk in Spanish" She knows about 20 words really well . Anyway we were talking to a missionary at church and his first language is Spanish. So I tell Kenna that he speaks Spanish. Kenna looks at him and says "callate means shut up in Spanish". All I could think is Kenna you have 20 words that you know and that is the one you decide to use. So I reminded her that was a naughty word and that we get in trouble for saying it in Spanish just the same as English. Meanwhile the missionary had to walk away so that Kenna wouldn't see him laughing.
  • A woman was out walking with her kids in the stroller. Kenna informs her that her kids are funny looking. They are funny looking, no disabilities just funny looking kids eyes kind of bugged out a bit and this kids ears were huge my internal monologue works so I was thinking the same thing as well as wow I wonder if these kids have Acromegaly. So once again I find myself saying in an exasperated tone "Kenna Margaret" and apologizing to this poor woman who may or may not know that her kids are funny looking but just the same didn't want to here from a 3yr old.

Anyway we will be having a Family night lesson on tact, saying only nice things, and watching the words that we say because obviously the honesty lesson worked well.

  • One last story This one didn't embarrass me at all in fact it made me almost cry. After reading a chapter in her chapter book she looked out the window and said "Mom the sunset is pink tonight. That is how Jesus and God tell us that they love us, they make the sky pink before we go to bed. Sometimes he will make it purple because he knows you like purple the best, but pink is just for me" and then to make sure that I knew she added, "but he still is saying that he loves you Mom when it is pink we just have to take turns with the colors." This took me off guard as we have never discussed anything like this before, all I could do was hug her and say you are right they love us very much and we must always remember those little things around us that show their love. I walked out of the room still trying not to cry. It is moments like these that make me forget her lack of internal monologue and all of those embarrassing moments. Even though she gives me a rough time once in awhile I am sure glad she is mine.

11 comments:

Jessica and Tom said...

It was just as funny reading it as hearing you tell it. Funnier almost!! So sweet about the sunset. She is sweet under that layer of terror.

Rivka said...

Kids are the best! Good and bad...I wouldn't trade being a mom for anything in the world!

Mindy said...

Hi! It's Mindy Keller. I found your blog on Chy's blog- hope that's okay! I was laughing so hard at your post. I have 3 kids that can talk VERY understandably (is that a word?) so I, too, have embarassing moments on a daily basis! Tell Brad hi for us. He was always like the big brother I never had. Your family is so cute! :)

Chy said...

OH man I've soo been there! At church yesterday we were walking through the hall and Cooper YELLS hey mom look a pirate!... nope he just had a patch on his eye. Hummm..what do you do:) I absolutely loved her take on the sunset so precious, your a lucky mommy!

Stacia said...

I think McKenna is so sweet! Who else would come up with an explanation like that for sunsets except children? I have to admit, I really liked hearing those stories of her blunt-ness, but I can feel your embarrassment. I happen to have a little brother who yet to learn the importance of "thinking before saying"--and he's almost 15!

Chy said...

I love WA its hot and not a lot of wind or rain, but we are in Walla Walla and the weather is quite a bit different here than in other parts of WA, so I'm told. I vote you move here...of course! I'm also on the ward activities board, its a fun calling huh:)!

Generational stitcher said...

Oh my gosh...this made me laugh so hard. I love it when kids do stuff like that...although it's much funnier when it's not your own kid say stuff like that...but we all have at least 1 like that :) Her timing doesn't seem to be as horrible as some kids though, so that's a huge blessing. :) Thanks for the laugh!

Grama Sherri said...

First you teach them to tell the truth, then you teach them to keep the truth to themselves. Quite a quandary, eh? Good thing you record these "embarrassing moments, as they can be laughed at later.

Tiffany said...

Okay, too hilarious. My favorite was the funny looking kids one. I was laughing so hard, I was crying. It is wonderful to see her sweet moments too. She's such a sweetie.

Brittany said...

I love it, stories about Kenna make for some fun entertainment! I love the last one, what a cute girl. How's Bryn? Better, I hope. Poor gal. I've come to the stage in motherhood where I don't get to pay much attention at church...NOW I understand!(:

Jenny Whiting said...

very cute. we love McKenna and everything she says! i just love her little voice. and you really are a great mom!